About 1808 Dr. Joseph Butterfield came into Chesterville and commenced practice. He boarded awhile in the family of Rev. Jotham Sewall, and at length removed his family and resided in a house built by Abraham Davenport. He was the first physician, and after a residence of six or seven years removed from the place. The next physician was Dr. John Wing, who came to Chesterville in 1814, while the typhus fever was raging, and before Dr. Butterfield moved away. Dr. Wing, after a residence of a few years, removed to New Sharon, where he died in 1818. Dr. John Gordon, who married Dr. Butterfield's daughter, was probably the next resident physician. He lived where J. W. Lothrop now lives. After he left Drs. Sanborn, Fogg, Davis, Hale, Sawyer, and Jewett, respectively lived and practiced for longer or shorter periods in town. [In the Appendix fuller details of personal history may be expected.]
The first goods brought into town for retail were kept in a room in the house of Jotham Sewall, by Abraham Davenport, between 1793 and 1797. Over the front door of the house was placed a sign containing the word "GOODS." The variety of articles kept and sold here was of course limited. How long the business was carried on here is unknown to the writer, but it is probable that it was for a year or more. He well remembers, however, that Reuben Bean of Jay, once hauled a load of shelled corn to Mr. Davenport with a team of four or six oxen. The sled was longer than common, with a box the whole bigness of the sled, some three or four feet high, and made so tight that corn was hauled in it without bags or smaller boxes. The corn was purchased by Mr. Davenport, measured and stored in the chamber of the house.
The next store in the place is believed to have been opened by a Mr. Watson from Fayette. It was kept in a joiner's shop, a few rods north of the present dwelling-house of Bartlet Lowell. Mr. Watson traded here only a year or two, and then returned to Fayette. This was probably within the first three or four years of the present century. The shop was burned with a part of Mr. Watson's goods.
The first store at Keith's Mills was opened by Snow & Quimby about the year 1816, who continued to trade there only a year or two. Col. J. R. Bachelder, then of Mount Vernon, was supposed to have some interest in the goods sold here. Since that time several individuals have traded at Keith's Mills, each trading for awhile, closing up business and being succeeded by another. Sometimes there has been no merchant in the village, and once or twice there have been two at the same time.
The earliest store at the Center Village was opened by Samuel Melvin. jr., about the year 1817. He continued the business some four or five years, when he sold to Foss & Moore. They remained only two or three years when they sold and the business was carried on by others. Quite a number of merchants have traded in this village, some for a longer, and others for a shorter time. A few times the place has contained two stores at once.
The first store in the south part of the town was kept by William Wyman in a part of his father's house, where F. Currier now lives. He continued the business abut a year and then quit. It is not known that any other store has been kept in that part of the town, except recently in Abiel Mosher's house, west of the Ridge. As mentioned before, there is one store in the north-east part of the town, and has been for years. [That of the late William Whittier, Esq., which was closed after his decease.]
78. — LAWYER.
About 1843 William Tripp opened an office at Keith's Mills. He made but a short stay there, and removed to Wilton. it is not known that any other lawyer ever opened an office in town.
William Stickney, formerly a resident in Hallowell, settled on the lot between those of William Bradbury and John Mitchell, about the year 1808. By occupation he was a tobacconist. He manufactured figs from the leaf, which he sold in considerable quantities. After a few years he dropped the pursuit and turned his whole attention to farming.
Alexander Allen, it is believed, was the first blacksmith at the Center Mills. After a few years, he left and was succeeded by Elisha Bennet, who removed to the place from New Bedford, Mass., in 1806. Mr. Bennet worked at the Mills about a year, when he bought a part of the Thomas Davenport lot, put up buildings and carried on the business several years. He made steelyards, screw augers, chisels, &c. After about eleven and a half years his health failed. He and his two sons manufactured the first, and perhaps the only steelyards and screw augers made in the town. He died in 1819. Nathaniel Staples was the first blacksmith at Keith's Mills. — Within forty years several individuals have carried on blacksmithing at Keith's Mills and at the Center Village, and but few times are called to mind when a journey to some other town was necessary to obtain iron smith's work.
About six or seven years after the close of the last century, or possibly a little later, the chaise began to be introduced into the town. In 1808 few double horse wagons existed in this region. Much of the transportation of goods, to this town at least, was done in horse-carts in the summer season. At this period and earlier, strong ox-wagons traversed the town in moving goods from Hallowell to Farmington. The first single horse wagon in this town was built and used by Joseph French, about 1809, or 1810. A year or two later Dimmer Sewall, jr., had a similar one. These were plain farm wagons, without springs of any kind. Not long after this single riding wagons began to be used. Most of them were destitute of springs under the body, and were much heavier and less convenient than those introduced at a later date.
— MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
The first musical instrument owned and used in Chesterville was a bass-viol brought by Jotham Sewall when he removed his family if not before. Several of the kind have been made by Jacob Ames, and perhaps by others at a later day, as well as violins and tenor viols. The first flute owned in the town was Joseph Bradbury's, about the year 1800. The first, and so far as the writer knows, the only, piano-forte ever in the town, was in the family of Jacob Safford, about 1840, or perhaps earlier. At a later date a few melodeons were owned and used in Chesterville. These were soon superseded by reed organs made in New Sharon. In a few cases these have been, and still are used advantageously to help church music. About 1855 Lathrop C. Tilton commenced business at the Center Village. His employment has been preparing lumber and making pipes for wind organs, which he sends to Boston. Since commencing his business here he has built an instrument of this kind, which is not only the first in the town, but the earliest manufactured here, and probably in the county. It was finished in 1857, and placed in the Center Village Meeting-house for the sum of two hundred dollars. The instrument is eight feet in height, three feet in width, and six feet long. Its compass is four and a half octaves. It has six stops named as follows; viz., Principal, Diapason. Bass, Open Diapason Treble, Melodia Treble, Dalciana, and Flute. Its longest pipe is four feet three inches, — four by five inches. It has sufficient power to fill the house well. It appears to be correctly tuned, making excellent and pleasant music.
There is but little doubt that a library existed in Chesterville among its early settlers, perhaps as early as 1793. No records of it have been found, and all that is known about it is found in the private Journal of Jotham Sewall. He mentions meeting the "Book Society," and that the books had arrived. — How long it existed, and how many volumes it contained is unknown. A Library was started at the Center Village not far from 1820. It lived but a short time. The books were divided among the shareholders. Another library was more successfully started in the south part of the town about the time of the commencement of that at the Center. It is said still to exist, while another organization of a similar character — some individuals owning shares in both — has been in operation there a few years.
In 1832 a Library was organized at Keith's Mills which has kept along quite regularly these twenty-six years. It has purchased more than 300 volumes, and most of them — if we may judge from their worn condition — have been well read. It has given much information to its shareholders — thirty or more in number — and has excited a thirst for more. One person has been clerk of the association ever since its start, and librarian twelve years.
being a small town, never elected a representative while under the
jurisdiction of Massachusetts. An approximation to this privilege was
first enjoyed under the act of separation which allowed one delegate
each, even from small towns, to meet in a Constitutional Convention.
To this Convention the town sent Ward Locke, in 1819, and raised a
Committee to furnish him with written instructions, which he
accordingly received. Mr. Locke was also the first representative of
Chesterville under the Constitution of Maine. Pursuant to this
constitution and the classification laws enacted by its authority,
the town has been allowed representation every two or three years. A
list of those chosen to represent the town is as follows:
In 1852 Reuben Lowell was chosen one of the electors of president and vice president of the United States, for this State. Up to the commencement of 1858, no State Senator or Counsellor has been selected from Chesterville.
— WlLD ANlMALS.
As has been before suggested moose were plenty in the vicinity in the days of the early settlers. — Bears were still more abundant, and in spring and autumn rather troublesome, often killing sheep, cattle, and hogs. William Bradbury lost three young cattle by them at one time. In summer the bears fed much upon blueberries, and in some instances several of them were seen feeding together on the Plains. Tradition as well as written sketches preserve several anecdotes relative to them. On one occasion, when Mr. Linscott was in quest of his cattle, he stopped to pick and eat some strawberries, moving about on his hands and knees. He soon saw a bear at a distance, apparently in "a state of wonderment," having just espied Mr. Linscott, and seeming to be trying to make out what sort of an animal he was. He would come a little nearer, rear on his hind legs, and look intently at the object before him. Mr. L. kept on picking berries, crawling nearer and nearer to the bear. When he found himself within a rod or two of the bear, and had got hold of a pitch-knot, he suddenly raised himself to an upright position, taking off his hat with one hand, and throwing the knot at his black associate with the other, he spread out his arms, gesticulated as frightfully as possible, and shouted at the top of his voice. His sable friend seemed thunderstruck and motionless for a moment, then recovering from his consternation he made the best possible use of his locomotive powers in a speedy flight.
At another time Mr. Linscott found his cattle huddled together, the smaller ones in the middle, and a bear moving around, seeking to make fast to a victim. When the bear in his earnestness would venture up near the cattle, one or two of the larger animals would run at him and drive him back a little way. Soon he would return again, and again have to retreat before the threatening horns of an ox or two. Mr. Linscott was somewhat amused with their evolutions and watched them awhile. — Whether he shot brain or tried his luck in giving him a fright, tradition saith not.
Opposite the two story dwelling-house in which Dummer Sewall lived many years, lay a large pine, some three or four feet in diameter, probably cut for a fence on the east side of the road. Beyond this he had a hog-yard. Bruin called there once, somewhat hungry no doubt, to borrow a little live pork. Mr. Sewall, not choosing to accommodate him, rested his old war musket over the pine log, and put a quietus to any future attempts of the sort. So the bear furnished instead of filching pork.
Stephen Titcomb, Esq., once called to pass the night at Dummer Sewalls, on a journey to Topsham. In the course of the evening Mr. Sewall asked Mr. Titcomb if he would like some bear steak for breakfast? "I should," said Mr. Titcomb; "Have you any?" The reply was — "No. But I think we can get some in the morning." When morning came they were up betimes, and Mr. Sewall took his gun, and said to Mr. Titcomb. "Yoke my oxen in the yard, there, take the drag and drive over towards a small pond near the Plains," pointing out what direction to go; "and," said he, "when you hear the report of the gun, drive towards it." Both did as indicated, Mr. Sewall came in sight of several bears, which were eating berries, selected his victim, fired, and ran up and bled the animal. The team was not far behind; so they loaded their booty, hauled it home, and had fresh meat for breakfast.
Early in the morning of June 8, 1794, Jotham Sewall and a few of his neighbors were alarmed by the bellowing of some creature in distress. They hastened towards the place from which the sound came, and found a small ox wounded and disabled by a bear, on the east side of the Little Norridgewock, easterly from his residence. As they drew near the bear moved off. They looked up the owner, John Butterfield, who concluded it best to kill and skin the ox, which was accordingly done. A trap was set, bated by the carcass, and in a few days after bruin was found in the trap. He was soon put where he would "stay put," and gore no more oxen. At the early period of the first settlement of Chesterville the country abounded in game. Of the animals valued for their fur, beavers and otters were not unfrequently trapped. Foxes, minks, and muskrats were also sought for their fur. These were caught in great numbers at certain seasons of the year, by those who made it their business.
— BEAVER DAMS.
About the year 1821, John Morrison and Henry Titcomb, in straightening the Beaver Dam Brook, a tributary of Wilson's Stream, to facilitate the running of logs, cut through a beaver dam, across where the brook undoubtedly once ran. This was about fifty rods southerly of the dwelling-house of the late Josiah Norcross, Jr. They found the teeth-marks on the ends of limbs and sticks. Apparently these Industrious and sagacious animals had felled a pine tree, some eighteen inches in diameter, across the brook, and stuck down and wove together limbs and sticks, filling in earth above, thus forming a dam about five rods long, and from two to six or seven feet in height, so firm that it was not easily removed. Indeed, it had to all appearance turned the natural course of the brook around the west end of the dam. This brook is the outlet of Locke's Pond. Its bed lays so low that in a quick rise of Wilson's Stream the water rushes back into the pond, with quite a current. There is supposed to have been a beaver dam, anciently, across the Little Norridgewock, about a hundred rods above Park's Mills. When passing up and down the stream in a canoe, in a bright summer day, a ridge or embankment may be seen under water, extending across the stream, with a breakage a few feet wide, in or near the middle of the channel.
Fish were plenty when Chesterville began to be settled. Alewives were very abundant. Mrs. Wheeler says that her father, Mr. Linscott, had a barrel of them at one time. When a dam had been built at the Center Mills it checked their course up-stream, so that the water below would be almost black with them. When going to the sea they were seen in great numbers passing down the wasteway. As soon as they found themselves going through it, in quick water, they would turn head to the current, and thus back down, no doubt to save the shock below, or possibly to avoid striking anything below with the head. Alewives were so plenty in Wilson's Stream that Mrs. Samuel Sewall caught enough one morning, with only her hands, to breakfast her family. Trout and some other varieties of fish were caught and afforded an important help to the pioneer settlers. Occasionally they were fortunate enough to enjoy the luxury of a salmon.
It was a problem of exceeding difficulty to solve, that pickerel were not formerly found in any of the tributaries of the Kennebec in this region, while they were somewhat plenty in those of the Androscoggin. It was currently reported and believed that Col. Charles Morse of Wilton, about thirty years ago, brought seven of these fish in a tub of water from some tributary of the Androscoggin and put them into Wilson's Pond, in Wilton. From this or some other cause, however, pickerel have been quite plenty in the Kennebec waters of this vicinity for several years.
— SERPENTS. — POWER OF FASCINATION.
This article is not introduced to exhibit a learned description of the several species of this legless reptile. Were the writer competent for such a task, — which he is not, — the labor would be by no means inviting; nor would it furnish instruction or entertainment to such as might undertake its perusal. — The object is, rather, to save from oblivion a few incidents the accounts of which are deemed authentic, and which show the fascinating power of common snakes. It was not until the writer heard one of these incidents, in June 1856, that lie had the faintest idea — the smallest thought — that this wonderful power was possessed by such serpents as are common in this region, or even by one of them. But to the anecdotes: —
Jason Sewall, the third son of Samuel Sewall, who began the first settlement near Keith's Mills, and who lived where J. B. Morrison, Esq., now resides several years, relates, that when he was about seven years old, as he was returning from "putting the cows to pasture." with a stick in his hand, coming near the end of a log which extended angling, away from the road, not far from the present dwelling of R. M. Morrison, in Farmington, he heard an uncommon sound and stopped near the end of the log to listen. The first object that caught his eye was a small bird, perhaps a sparrow, in a fluttering, agitated state, on a bush, beside the log, now and then uttering a singular cry. It soon left the bush for another on the other side of the log, alighting a little lower than where he first saw it. It was about this time that his eye fell upon a serpent of the common sort, about two feet long, lying on the log, with its head somewhat elevated, and at intervals making a slight noise. The bird continued in an agitated state, occasionally flying from one bush to another across the log, every time coming nearer to the serpent. The serpent appeared to be watching the movements of the bird, turning its head so as to look directly towards it. When the bird had changed its position several times, and had alighted much nearer the serpent than when first seen, it flew in a direct line into the open mouth of his snakeship. Our friend who had been hearing and seeing now thought it time to act. So bringing his stick with a quick, smart motion across the snake he broke the spell and liberated the bird, which flew off, apparently rejoicing to regain its liberty. Feeling a measure of that enmity put between the seed of the woman and that of the serpent, he repeated his blows till the charmer, though charming never so wisely, was slain.
In June 1855, Arthur, son of Reuben Lowell of Chesterville, saw a serpent of a species common in the vicinity, about eighteen inches long, coiled up on the upper side of the stump of a pine tree, which had been turned up by the roots. Some five or six inches of the serpent's head, neck, &c., being elevated. He was making a hissing sound, but continued motionless, with open mouth. Some four feet above him was a small bird, flying around in a circle about three or four feet in diameter, uttering a chirping, but uncommon sound. In its spiral flight it came still nearer and nearer to the snake, evidently verging into the open mouth. When within about four inches of that point Arthur deemed it proper to interfere. He raised the axe he had in his hand, and cut the snake in two, which broke the spell, for the bird instantly flew away.
The following tends towards the conclusion that this power is exerted over other animate creatures as well as birds. But one would not naturally imagine that it could subject one so spry as a frog to its control. About the year 1850 Otis H. Sewall, then of Chesterville, as he was passing through a small field near his house, noticed a frog making short jumps, in a zigzag course, gaining slowly towards a striped snake, some twenty inches long, with the head somewhat raised, laying on the ground, a little farther on. When the frog in one of its jumps had landed about eight inches from the snake, the latter sprang and caught it by the hind leg. The frog cried out something like a cat, and struggled for "dear life," but there he was. Mr. S. struck the serpent which immediately opened its jaws. The frog now liberated leaped off, not as he came up, but to the tune of four or five feet at a leap, increasing the distance between him and his captor with all possible speed. As the writer had these incidents from credible witnesses he cannot doubt their general correctness.
The first efforts to form a society in Chesterville for the promotion of the cause of Temperance were made at a meeting of a few friends of temperance movements held at the Schoolhouse in District No. Eight, not far from the residence of Jacob Ames. — The meeting was held in April, 1828. From the records it appears that some previous labor had been bestowed in preparing a Constitution for a society, as most, perhaps all, present signed one on the spot. The earliest intimation of a desire to form a Society here within the recollection of the writer, was dropped by Jeremiah Eaton at a town meeting, probably in the March previous to the above date. It is, no doubt true that there were many temperate people in the town before this, and perhaps a few total abstainers; still, without an abuse of language, it might have been averred that some were drunkards. But the evil intended to be cured at the above date was not so much drunkenness as the habit of taking a dram on almost any occasion. Its mission, as we look back upon it, seemed to be to break up the customary use of ardent spirits as a beverage, which was old and time honored.
At the meeting before mentioned it was agreed to have another on the second Saturday in the following June, to organize a Society. This was accordingly held. when Tobias Moore was chosen Chairman, and Dr. James Fogg, Secretary. As the Doctor was absent William Chaney was chosen Secretary, pro tem. This meeting was adjourned to the fourth of July following, at which time Dr. Fogg declined the secretaryship and John Chaney, Jr., was chosen to that office. He was contained in the office during about two years, during which time the society met some four or five times. Printed addresses were read at some of these meetings, and alterations to the Constitution proposed, discussed and adopted.
This society kept up its organization till the beginning of 1836, the last meeting being in March. Sometimes the meetings were held quarterly, and sometimes monthly. A list of the members found on record, (which probably included only those received up to July 1833.) contained 199 names, 78 of whom are males, the others females. Afterwards more than 100 became members. Forty-six were excluded. In 1834 quite a number of members joined said among others one whole family of ten persons, — Jotham Bradbury's, — at one time. — The society had addresses or discourses from different individuals, as follows —
June 28. 1836. by Rev. Jotham Sewall, .Jr.,
July 9, 1831, by Mr. J. Caldwell of Farmington,
July 5. 1832, by Wm. Emmons, Esq., of Augusta.
Feb. 26. 1833, by Mr. Daniel Sewall,
Sept. 4, 1833, by Rev. Jotham Sewall, Jr..
Dec. 3. 1833. by Mr. Elisha M. Tobie.
Feb. 18. 1834, by Mr. E. M. Tobie, followed by Rev. S Curtis and Col. C. Morse, at Bean S. H.
July 4. 1834, by Rev. S. Curtis.
July 4, 1835, by Mr. Daniel Sewall.
At the last meeting but one, found on record, held March 15, 1836, the following question, introduced at a previous meeting, was discussed; viz: "Whether respectable temperence men, refusing to unite with temperance societies, or notorious drunkards are doing most injury to the cause of Temperance?" It was discussed by H. Mayhew, Josiah Chany, Elder Clark and others. Thanks were voted to Elder Clark for his able remarks on the question. It was also voted unanimously, that the respectable temperance man who drinks moderately, is doing greater injury to the cause of Temperance than the open drunkard.
Not long after the last date given above, the Washingtonians surprized the country, threw the old temperance people into the back ground, and took the work into their own hands. The Washingtonians aimed at reclaiming the sot, and many of them no doubt thought it was a new idea in the world. But the records referred to above show it to have been an object with temperance men years before. It is true, however, that this was considered a rather uphill business formerly; still it is believed that one such, if no more, was reformed through the efforts of the old organization. The writer lacks information as to the amount of good done in this town by the Washingtonians. Several temperance societies, in various forms, have been started and flourished for a time, since the above mentioned efforts. All have doubtless, done more or less good to the cause.
— MASTS AND SPARS.
It is supposed that the first masts cut in Chesterville were prepared and hauled from the farms of Moses and Joseph French, about the year 1825. This was done by men engaged in building vessels at or near Hallowell. Within six or seven years after this several sets of masts were obtained in a similar manner, as they were needed in shipyards. In the winter of 1832 the business of furnishing masts was undertaken by inhabitants of the town. Col. Samuel French. Jr., (who by the way was the first, if not the only militia field officer taken from this town,) cut and hauled to Hallowell from his farm, 22 masts. It was while loading the first of these for Hallowell, Jan. 1832, that it came down from the sled, crushing the legs of his brother, Benj. S. French, on the frozen ground, with but little snow. It literally ground the bones of the right leg in many pieces. and dislocated the ankle, and broke one bone of the left leg twice. By the skill of Drs. Baldwin and Sanborn he became able to stand erect without any support but these legs, in four weeks and three days after the injury. His legs were weak for a long time, as it was about a year before he could trust them in all places. In 1833 Col. French cut and hauled 20 more masts. Since 1825 there have been cut in the south part of the town, on different farms, by different persons, about 400 masts, besides many spars and much other ship timber, including red oak plank. A few have been marketed from other parts of the town.
Masts standing, such as were sold in 1825 for $3, are sold latterly for $40. Transporting them to Hallowell now costs about double the amount of expense as at that time. Within ten years previous to 1856 Isaac French hauled about 175 masts, from 20 to 36 miles, generally landing them in Hallowell. Part, however, were left at Augusta, Gardiner and Pittston. Besides these he hauled many loads of spars and other ship timber. He drove an ox team to Kennebec River in this business 346 times. One pair of oxen, which he raised, were in the team every trip. Notwithstanding all this travel, in addition to no small amount of labor on the farm, this pair of oxen lived until they were slaughtered in Dec. 1855, at which time they lacked only two months of being twenty years of age. In the Farmington Chronicle of April 20, 1854, appeared the following: — "Mr. Isaac French of South Chesterville, has a yoke of oxen, 18 years old, which have been driven to the Kennebec and back again 340 times, making an aggregate distance traveled of 17,000 miles. Besides this they have done the ordinary ox work on a farm. They are veterans."
— DESTRUCTIVE WIND.
On the 29th day of June 1865, there came up a smart shower, accompanied by a tornado, which was especially powerful in the south part of Chesterville. It unroofed several buildings, moved a few from their foundations, and demolished a few sheds. It also blew down several appletrees, and many forest trees, overturning alike the lofty pine, the sturdy oak and the strong sugar maple, and the evergreen hemlock, which had stood the blasts of centuries. In many places these trees with others large and small, were prostrated in a heterogeneous mass, much to the damage of the owners. It also displaced a fence made of large pine stumps, which had been built several years, and of course had become partially imbedded in the soil.
The following is from the Chronicle of May 21, 1857. — "LAND SLIDE IN CHESTERVILLE — A correspondent, S. B., writing from Chesterville, tells of a slide of soil, rocks and trees from a hill in this vicinity, during the heavy spring rains in April. We had before heard it spoken of as a notable curiosity. he says; "During the great rain storms in April a piece of land, six rods in length and four in width, slid off a depth of from four to six feet, carrying trees a foot or more in diameter, and a number of large rocks, one of which is estimated to weigh twenty tons. — The strip of land was situated upon the easterly slope of a steep [Blabon] hill, on land owned by Nathaniel Whittier, Jr., and known as the Esq. Morgridge Farm. At the eastern side or foot of this slope was a narrow swamp containing a large quantity of muck and spring water. The slide went directly into the swamp, and with such irresistible power as to force up from its bed, and over a second slope, a great quantity of the former contents of the bog. A part of the slide, containing the trees and rocks is now resting on the bed of the swamp."
— TOWN OFFICERS.
1802 — Selectmen; William Bradbury, Thomas Williams, Aaron Fellows; Clerk, Joshua B. Lowell; Treasurer, Samuel Linscott.
1803 — All the officers the same as in 1802.
1804 — Selectmen; Joshua B. Lowell, Jonathan Fellows, Thomas Williams; Clerk; Joshua B. Lowell; tr. William Bradbury.
1805 — Selectmen; Joshua B. Lowell, Jonathan Fellows, Richard Maddocks; Clerk: Joshua B. Lowell; Treasurer; William Bradbury.
1806 — Selectmen; Joshua B. Lowell, Richard Maddocks, Joseph French; Clerk; Joshua B. Lowell; Treasurer; Wm. Bradbury.
1807 — Selectmen; J. B. Lowell, Joseph French, Newel Gordon; Clerk; J. B. Lowell — treasurer; Wm. Bradbury.
1808 — All the town officers the same as in the preceding year.
1809 — Selectmen; Joseph French, Henry Whitney, Wm. Bradbury; Clerk and Treasurer same as preceding year.
1810 — Selectman; Wm. Bradbury, Joseph French, Henry Whitney; Clerk, and Treasurer same as preceding year.
1811 — Selectmen; Wm, Bradbury; J. French, John Beau; Clerk; Wm. Bradbury; Treasurer; Wm. Bradbury.
1812 — Selectmen; Joshua B. Lowell, Wm. Bradbury, Joseph French; Clerk and Treasurer same as preceding year.
1813 — Selectmen; Wm. Bradbury, Joseph French, Oliver Sewall; Clerk and Treasurer; same as preceding year.
1814 — Selectmen; Joseph French, O. Sewall, Leonard Billings; Clerk; Samuel Linscott, Jr.; Treasurer.
1815 — Selectmen; same as preceding year; Clerk; Wm. Bradbury; Treasurer; same as preceding year.
1816 — All the officers same as preceding year.
1817 — All the officers same as preceding year.
1818 — Selectmen; O. Sewall, Leonard Glidden, Daniel Gorden; Clerk; Tobias Moore; tr. Wm. Bradbury-.
1819 — Selectmen; O. Sewall, Jos. French, Leonard Glidden; Clerk and Treasurer same as preceding year.
1820 — Selectmen; O. Sewall, Jos. French, Ebenezer Hutchinson; Clerk; Wm. Bradbury: Treasurer; same as preceding year.
1821 — Selectmen; John Bean, L. Glidden, David Morrill; Clerk and Treasurer same as preceding year.
1822 — Selectmen; O. Sewall, Jos. French, David Morrill; other officers same as preceding year.
1823 — All town officers same as preceding year.
1824 — All town officers same as preceding year.
1825 — Selectmen; Jos. Keith, Thomas Gorton, Moses Walton, Jr.; other officers same as preceding year.
1826 — All town officers same as preceding year.
1827 — Selectmen; Jos. Keith, M. Walton, Jr., Thomas Gordon; other officers same as preceding year.
1828 — Selectmen and treasurer same. as preceding year; clerk, Tobias Moore.
1829 — Selectmen and treasurer, same as preceding year; Cyrus Whitney a short time, and then Bartlett. clerk.
1830 — Selectmen, Jos. Keith, Oliver Billings, Enoch Whittier; Bartlett Lovell, clerk and treasurer.
1831 — Selectmen, O. Billings, Reuben Lowell, Thomas Gorden, clerk and treasurer same as preceding year.
1832 — Selectmen, R. Lowell, Thomas Gorden, O. Billings; clerk and treasurer same as preceding year.
1833 — All town officers same as preceding year.
1834 — Selectmen; O. Billings, Edward P. Tobie, Jos. Keith; clerk same as preceding year, Wm. O. Bradbury, treasurer.
1835 — Selectmen: O. Billings, Jos. Keith, Wm. Whittier; clerk and treasurer, same as preceding year.
1836 — Selectmen E. P. Tobie, Jesse Soper, Wm. Whittier; clerk, B. Lowell Treasurer, Jos. Keith.
1837 — Selectmen; Jos. Keith, Stephen Sinborn, William Whittier; B. Lowell, clerk; treasurer, W. O. Bradbury.
1838 — Selectmen; W. O. Bradbury, Henry Whitney, Jr., John W. Morrill; Hebron Mayhew, clerk, Samuel Wheeler, treasurer.
1839 — Selectmen; Reuben Lowell, Stephen Sanborn, Wm. Whittier; clerk and treasurer same as preceding year.
1840 — All town officers same as preceding year.
1841 — Selectmen; B. Lowell, David Gorden, Thomas Gorden, Amzi Sanborn clerk, treasurer same as preceding year.
1842 — Selectmen; Cyrus Pierce, Columbus Lane, John Oakes, clerk, O. Sewall, treasurer, W. O. Bradbury.
1843 — Selectmen; Cyrus fierce, Columbus Lane, Wm. Whittier; clerk, and treasurer, same as preceding year.
1844 — Selectmen; Cyrus Pierce, Elias H. Brown, Wm. Whittier; clerk, Amzi Sanborn, treasurer, Elisha Park.
1845 — Selectmen; Reuben Lowell, Elias H. Brown, John W. Sanborn, clerk, Amzi Sanborn, treasurer, Wm. O. Bradbury.
1846 — Selectmen; same as preceding; clerk, Jotham D. Bradbury, treasurer, W. O. Bradbury.
1847 — Selectmen, Zibeon Field, L. M. Brown, J. W. Sanborn; clerk, Oliver Sewall, treasurer, Otis C. Sewall.
1848 — Selectmen; Cyrus Pierce, L. M. Brown, Wm. Whittier; clerk, B. F. Atkinson and O. Sewall, treasurer W. O. Bradbury.
1849 — Selectmen; as preceding, clerk, O. Sewall, treasurer, as preceding.
1850 — Selectmen; Collins Lovejoy, Charles Walton, Dudley G. Morrill, clerk, B. Lowell, treas. as last year.
1851 — All some as last.
1852 — Selectmen; Shepard Linscott, C. Walton, Thomas Williams, clerk and tr. as last.
1853 — Selectmen; Freeman Burley, L. H. Brown, Phineas Whittier, others, as last.
1854 — S. men; F. Burley, E. B. Brown, P. Whittier; ck, B. Lowell, tr. as last
1855 — S; F. Burley, G. Clarke, Benning Glines, ck, J. C. Wheeler, tr. same
1856 — S. W. F. Lowell, G. Clarke, S. P. Morrill, ck. as last, tr. G. L. Riggs.
1857 — S. Wm. F. Lowell, B. French, S. P. Morrill, ck. and tr. as last.
1858 — S. W. F. Lowell, B French, G. W. Davis, ck and tr. as last.